Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Breakdown on Bologna

The Breakdown on Bologna


       I grew up eating bologna sandwiches in my lunch. While I remember eating them often, I’m not sure how often it really was. But, to this day, I can see, smell, taste, and feel the sandwich – white bread (was it Wonder?), a round piece of bologna, and a slice of American processed cheese food product (food for cheese?). I know I enjoyed them as a child, but now I can’t bring myself to buy bologna, eat bologna, or feed bologna to my children. It just doesn’t seem like the moral thing to do. I only feed my children what I would eat myself – bologna is not it!

Over the years, probably with the influence of my husband, I have leaned more towards animal recognition in my food. What I mean by this is – can I identify, without hesitation, what animal and animal part the food derives from? Bacon? No problem. Chicken leg? No problem. Bologna? Problem! Just what is bologna?

First, I asked my children. My eight year old responded, “Yucky meat!” My three year old didn’t even know what it was. Awesome! I’ve done my job as a parent. Then, I asked my husband. His exact words were, “A!@hole, intestines, and face.” Hmmmm – so what is the truth behind this processed meat?

Bologna falls into the sausage category.  It is usually made from chicken, cows, and/or pigs, however, any animal can be used. Spices and nitrates are added, it is pureed, and then formed into cylinders. Either intestines or plastic is used as a casing to protect the meat tube….bleck!  The specific body parts you are eating are normally not disclosed. The gourmet and small bologna businesses use the more delectable parts of the animals. Supposedly, lips, butt, and face are not used, but I don’t trust the large meat manufacturers. You can find way too much information about how they DO use random parts, such as sexual glands and other organs.

I’d personally rather just avoid the circular meat discs altogether instead of wasting my time to further find the truth. Most people don’t care – if it tastes good, it must be good! I’ll stick to my animal recognition standard and let the rest of America economically feed Oscar Mayer.

source --  http://everythinglittleones.com/2012/08/the-breakdown-on-bologna/ 

No comments: